September 6, 2013

Book Review: Lost in Distraction by B.J. Harvey


Title: Lost in Distraction (Lost #1)
Author: B.J. Harvey
Release Date: April 3rd 2013
Publisher: Self Published
Source: Purchased by me


In the three years after a horrible crime claimed her family, Elise Halliwell has been alone, shut off from the world in a self-imposed emotional exile. She goes through the motions, finishes high school and moves across country to start college and begin the next step in her pre-destined life.

But her exile is dramatically cut short by the entrance of a dark haired, blue-eyed, smirking man who shakes her to the core, achieving what everyone else before him has failed to do, he makes her feel again.

As much as he wishes it were different, fate has not brought Braxton James into Elise’s life, or has it. Brax has to keep her safe from people in her life who have ulterior motives and may want to hurt her.

Elise has no idea the threat she faces, and Brax wants to make sure it stays that way. But as Brax struggles with getting close to her, he begins to live a lie. Unable to resist the pull that is Elise’s bright green eyes, infectious giggle, and loving heart, he finds it impossible to stay away, so the double life of being Elise’s boyfriend and keeping her safe begins.

Full of twists and turns, danger and revelations that no-one could predict, you won’t be the only one, lost in distraction.

My Thoughts


I read all the sneak-peek snippets and excerpts and happily purchased a kindle copy once released, it really did sound like a book I’d fall in love with.

But I found Lost in Distraction to be very slow. The story really didn’t seem to move along and I found myself skimming over pages, and the constant POV changes and time jumps, ugh, not a fan.

Sadly, I also found the writing juvenile and repetitive, and the over use of stale endearments like ‘my dear’ and ‘darling’ became annoying and I had to give up after approx 60%, I just couldn’t bring myself to continue.

I REALLY wanted to like this book but it just wasn’t happening for me, and as much I want to support a fellow ‘Kiwi’ with a great review, it just isn’t going to happen unfortunately.

One for the DNF pile – 1 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...