August 7, 2013

Book Review: The Silver Chain by Primula Bond


Title: The Silver Chain (The Unbreakable Trilogy #1)
Author: Primula Bond
Release Date: July 4th 2013
Publisher: AVON (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd)
Source: ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley


Bound by passion, she was powerless to resist.

One dark evening in London, photographer Serena Folkes is indulging her impulsive side with a night-time shoot. But someone is watching her – mysterious entrepreneur Gustav Levi. Serena doesn’t know it yet, but this handsome stranger will change her life forever…

Serena is fascinated by Gustav, the enigmatic owner of the Levi Gallery, and she soon feels an irresistible pull of attraction. The interest is mutual, and Gustav promises to launch Serena’s photographic career at his gallery, but only if Serena agrees to become his exclusive companion.

To mark their agreement, Gustav gives Serena a bracelet to wear at all times. Attached to it is a silver chain of which he is the keeper. With the chain Gustav controls Serena physically and symbolically – a sign that she is under his power.

As their passionate relationship intensifies, Gustav’s hold on the silver chain grows stronger. But will Gustav’s dark past tear them apart?


My Thoughts

It’s a well known fact (if you’re a regular here at MBC) that I’m not a huge bondage fan, but I do love a well crafted story full of great sex - plus I’m ever hopeful that I will find a tie-me-up-and-dominate-me book that I will fall in love with - so I happily started The Silver Chain free of expectation.

I initially found the main characters to be interesting, perhaps a little quirky; which is totally cool with me, I’m slightly off-the-wall myself!
But man, the first 25% of the book is very slow and it lacked flow so it was a wee bit clunky to read.

The burgeoning friendship/attraction element felt very forced and gave me a creepy-old-man vibe. But thankfully, as the story progressed and the MC’s grew, I felt more of a connection, more of a belief in them as a couple. However, tortured pasts come back to haunt the fledgling relationship and feelings get hurt - self doubts rise and everything falls apart.

After some time to reassess, Gustav and Serena manage to find a balance they can both be happy with and they get their HEA; there’s even a final little twist to set up the next book in this series - nice.

The Silver Chain was a bit of a hit and miss for me, but it is full of trysts, tease, borderline kink, domination and more; a 3.5 star read.

Author's blog
Amazon US


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...