June 25, 2013

Book Review: Slow Burn by Anne Marsh



Title:
Slow Burn (Smoke Jumpers, #2)
Author: Anne Marsh
Release Date: March 26th 2013 
Publisher: Brava Kensington
Source: Received from the publisher via NetGalley


It’s not every man who’ll risk his life jumping into the flames of a woodland inferno. Then again, Evan Donovan isn’t like other men. No matter how great or how treacherous the challenge, he gets the job done. But when he agrees to look in on a friend’s ex-wife after a suspicious brushfire, Evan learns that some jobs are too hot to handle…

Faye Duncan is a photographer on a mission, shooting fires for a magazine. Her first encounter with a wildfire isn’t nearly as wild as her first night with Evan Donovan. Things really heat up when Evan learns she may have taken a photo of the arsonist setting the fires. Evan is determined to keep Faye safe—but first, he’ll have to open up his heart…


My Thoughts


I initially enjoyed Slow Burn but as I read on, I found it to be very slow moving.
There was a lot of internal dialogue going on throughout which slowed down the pace immensely, I would have liked more to actually happen rather than listen to the in-head mutterings of the MC.

The sexual attraction was okay but the overall relationship felt stilted and forced and I found myself skimming over a lot of it.

The suspenseful arson twist was rather underwhelming also.
Less of a complete giveaway as to the culprit would have been beneficial and added a lot more interest to a story that lacked overall impact; because giving away a major plot line so early on just lessoned the reading experience for me.

I enjoyed the first quarter but the rest was pretty uneventful and too slow for me.
2.5 stars :|

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...