May 2, 2013

Book Review: Three Things by Randall Grange


Title: Three Things
Author: Randall Grange
Release Date: March 22nd 2013
Publisher: Toad Ltd
Source: Received from the author for an honest review


After an accident, and a short hospital stay, Randall lands in an alcohol and drug rehab. Convinced she’s been sent to the wrong type of rehab, and desperate to leave but too scared to speak up, she sits through a group therapy session where she’s confronted by a straight talking therapist who lets her know why she’s there and what’s expected of her - to confess the three secrets that she’s willing to kill herself over.

Just three? She has way more than three, but which are her worst? And how can she be sure telling on herself is the right thing to do?



Prologue


I still can’t work out how it happened. How the therapist persuaded me to stay in rehab. Maybe it was her smile or the way she motioned for me to sit down, or perhaps it was the way she put her hand on my shoulder when she introduced me to the group, but most likely it was when she wiped the tears from her cheek as I tried to explain why my face was black and blue.

I sat and listened to the others talk about their troubles because I knew she wanted me to, and because I felt I owed her something for making her cry. I also knew she wanted me to talk, but I couldn’t. I was about to get up and run when she began to talk, “Drugs and booze are what got you here, and I happen to know a lot about both. I also know things will run a lot smoother if you understand the treatment plan here doesn’t include learning about your favorite color, your astrological sign or the TV shows you like to watch. What I want to hear about is your life and your secrets, specifically the three things that make you want to kill yourself.”

                    ``````````````````````````````````

My Thoughts

 
Three Things is a beautifully written story, the story of a lost girl totally unaware of where things went wrong in her life. Seemingly dealt blow after harrowing blow from a very young age, Randall rides a roller coaster of emotions that she is unprepared for and ill-equipped to deal with.
 
An entire family in turmoil, each with their own demons to battle, a young and impressionable Randall struggles to stay afloat amidst a sea of bad choices. Three Things will leave you shocked and shaking your head in disbelief as Randall attempts to claw her way through life, trying to etch out some sense of normality, ultimately leading her to the point of life and death; it’s time to choose.  
 
Three Things is a powerful and sad story of redemption that will pull at your heart; after all that has come before, can you forgive – if not others, then yourself?
 
I cannot say enough great things about this story; Randall Grange has a clear and unique voice that I was immediately drawn to - her story is honest, fresh and at times emotionally raw, but her resolve is admirable. 

When I first picked up Three Things I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I got was a truly engrossing and enjoyable 5 star read!

Author and Book LINKS

Facebook
Goodreads

Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...