August 8, 2012

Book Review: Redemption by Veronique Launier

Title: Redemption (Hearts of Stone #1)
Author: Veronique Launier
Release Date: September 8th 2012
Publisher: Flux Books
Category: Fiction - Juvenile (YA): Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Magic
Source: Received from the publisher via NetGalley

Guillaume: For five hundred years I've existed as a gargoyle. Perched atop an old Montreal church, I've watched idly as humanity wanders by. With the witch Marguerite gone, there is no one left to protect, nothing to care about. I never planned to feel again. But then a girl released me from my stone restraints, allowing me to return as a seventeen-year-old human boy. I must find out all I can about this girl's power . . .

Aude: Getting attacked twice in as many days is strange in itself, but even stranger is the intriguing guy I keep running into. There's something so familiar about him, like a primal drum rhythm from my dreams. But spending time together only raises more questions--about my heritage, a native Mohawk prophecy . . . and an unearthly magic threatening our city...

My Thoughts

This book sounds fantastic - Gargoyles finally freed after decades of watching  the world pass them by. Strange and awkward girl with untapped power mysteriously releases them from their concrete prison.

Sadly I got as far as page 145 and put it aside.
I just couldn't read another word.
There is too much stuff going on, and yet nothing really happens, the story just isn't going anywhere. And its boring - I want to read about the gargoyle Guillaume and Aude, not the dead witches/Mohawk's/band/crappy friends or the many flashbacks that do nothing but distract the reader. And the dialogue is poor at best.

There just isn't any real consistency, the story jumps from one thing to the next without any clear path of where the story is going, it doesn't flow and lacks the ease of great storytelling.
 

As I said, I didn't read through to the end as I was bored beyond reason, so I can't say whether or not it improved.

A really great idea, but poorly executed.
1 Star :[

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, it is sad roro...

    I never like not finishing a book but for me, it was just a bad read :(

    Thanks for stopping by the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gargoyles! Dead witches could be interesting too-but from your review it doesn't sound worth the time:( and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems very similar with concepts to a book called The Gargoyle Club (The Gargoyle Legends Series 1) by Heather Fleming

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...