August 27, 2012

Book Review: Charming Blue by Kristine Grayson

Title: Charming Blue (Fates #8)
Author: Kristine Grayson
Release Date: September 1st 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Imprint: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: Received from the publisher via NetGalley

Once upon a time...he was the most handsome of princes. But now he's a lonely legend, hobbled by dark history. With too many dead in his wake, Bluebeard escapes through the evil spell of alcohol. But it's a far different kind of spell that's been ruining his life for centuries. Jodi Walters is a fixer, someone who can put magic back in order. But Blue has a problem she's never encountered. And worse, she finds herself perilously attracted to him.
   
My Thoughts

Although this is book #8 in a series, it is the first book I have read by this author.

Its a modern day world in which this story is set, with 'fairytale' characters happily living amongst us trying to fit in. But not everything is all rosy because they have 'fixers' like Jodi to run to for help.

I'm sorry but I found the characters weak and unlikeable.
Jodi is a boring, ageless, up-her-self châtelaine who I didn't connect with, I just did not like her - at all. She moaned and groaned her way through the entire book. I wanted to tell her to make a run for it - if you're so damn unhappy, leave, but for crying out loud stop complaining!
And Blue wasn't much better. He is a weak-kneed, down trodden, wet dish cloth - definitely not a hero to lust after.

There really wasn't any depth to the story, and other than their initial attraction there isn't any romance to speak off.
The blurb reads "she finds herself perilously attracted to him"
Perilously implies danger, what danger?...oh you mean when see looked in his eyes and thought "Oh he's so charming, he's charming me with his eyes, I mustn't look, Oh my" or did you mean he was dangerous because he's the killer Bluebeard?
There were no overly heated looks, touches, thoughts...in fact; there wasn't anything hot or dangerous about either of them to speak off at all.
And the ending to the mystery was so unsatisfying and so underwhelming, so what? who? when? it just didn't make a whole lot of sense.
The whole book was just too full of holes and plot letdowns, and to top it all off; it suddenly ended with Jodi being madly in love with Blue and they live HEA - yep, okay, whatever.

Kristine Grayson has a writing style that flows well and is easy to read, however I found the world building weak, the story was down right boring, and the character development shallow at best.

(an overly generous) 2 Star read :|




2 comments:

  1. I got this as an arc too and I put it down after a chapter. I am finishing it up so I can get the commitment over with. I feel bad I view it that way.
    I thought it would be a cool book. I loved the blurb I read.
    I feel the same as you. The writing style was fine, the world and characters left much to be desired.
    Very nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comment Books and Beyond.
    I agree, it felt like a chore to read rather than a pleasure and like you, I felt committed to read it.

    Thanks for dropping by the blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...