June 12, 2012

Book Review: The Guardian's Soul by Jamie Lynn Dougherty

Title: The Guardian's Soul (Samantha Brand #2)
Author: Jamie Lynn Dougherty
Release Date: May 2012
Publisher: Self published
Source: Received an e-ARC from the author for an honest review

The second installment to The Samantha Brand novels.

"How do you know if a soul is worth saving?" ~Sam

God has a plan for us all, even Samantha Brand.

It has been weeks since Sam lost Trent to the Devil, she fears she may have lost him forever but refuses to give up hope. Does Trent feel the same? After days of hunting Trent down, Sam finds herself the hunted as she gains a few new enemies that are out to destroy her at all costs. Everyone sees Trent as a lost cause except for Babs, who is more then willing help her sister out--even if that means getting into trouble in the process. Sam also has H.B., who hates seeing Sam throw herself so deeply down Trent's path but loves her too much to stop her. He would do anything for her, even if it means losing her forever.

Has Sam lost sight of God's big picture and has her love for Trent clouded her judgment?

Prophesies and sacrifice must go hand in hand to regain the balance between good and evil.

My Thoughts

I had the pleasure of reading book #1 in this series and you can read the review here

While I did have a few concerns with book #1, I genuinely enjoyed the story and so I was hoping to enjoy The Guardian's Soul as much if not more.
I'm still not sure if that happened for me.

TGS definitely answers some questions that were left open in book #1 and leaves the door open for other/parallel story lines in the future...but for some reason I just did'nt love it like I thought I would.

I struggled to connect with the characters this time round, especially Sam. 
I found her to be extremely annoying and honestly, she just frustrated me.
H.B was a mere shadow of his former wise-cracking self to begin with, and I didn't feel that Sam really 'got' him or understood his motives at all.
Babs and Dricus had very small and pretty insignificant supporting roles, and while half the cast of characters are Angels and Guardian's, there was a distinct lack of angel-like powers to aid or guide the story this time around.

I was struck though by how easily Trent's voice resonated with me.
Again, it was his voice that I connected with the most, I definitely felt his anguish.
And I have to say that Trent's whole role in this book really had me aching for more of his story.

While the zombie theme was an intricate part of book #1, I found it lacked some of that component this time around, and
Sam's new found ability to heal the eater's never really went in-depth, but the new spirit theme was a great addition and made for an interesting twist.

The
story did lack a little reading flow for me, I thought it tended to jump from one scene to the next.
However, in the last few chapters, there was more order to it all and the many strings of story did start to come together and I found the ending quite fitting.

But if I'm honest, I am a little sad and disappointed.
I expected so much more for this story, and I wanted so much more from the characters.

I don't know...
I don't want you to think I didn't like it, I did...but I don't know...


Its still a great 3 Star read and I'd be interested to see where else the author can take her characters in the future :]



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...